The famous "Charter Oak" farm wagons and others were manufactured here.
Advertised as "Built to Wear and Savers of Horse Flesh," the wagons featured rugged construction and quality workmanship.
Founded in 1856, Joel Turney & Company moved here from Trenton, Iowa, in 1887 at the invitation of, and with financial support of, city leaders.
Having two railroads, north to south, and east to west, meant the factory could expand yearly production from 500-600 wagons per year to 5000-6000 per year. For several years they were Fairfield's largest industrial employer.
The present brick and stone building was built in 1897 after a major fire destroyed the factory complex. This enabled them to bring in even more modern production machinery. See an old postcard below.
Production ceased in 1932 as demand for wagons slowed.
Postcard of Joel Turney & Company factory, looking north - unknown date. The factory had access to both the Rock Island and the CB & Q Railroads.
See an original unrestored Turney "CHARTER OAK" wagon on display at the Maasdam Barns complex in Fairfield, IA. And read about the wagon's history at the Maasdam Barns website.