Top Header « »

 34. Bonnifield Log House

Old Settlers Association Park, at Waterworks Park (c. 1838)NRHP Logo

Originally built about 8 miles east (near Lockridge) in 1838, the log house was moved and re-erected here in 1907 by the Old Settler’s Association.

This house is considered to the oldest remaining white settler's cabin in Iowa.

The name "Fairfield" was chosen in this home during an 1839 meeting to name the town.

See photos of the Oct 2011 "Life in a Log Cabin".
Bonnifield Log House

Click here for the National Register of Historic Places Registration Form and photos for this building, which you can download.

See newspaper accounts about the restoration of this building, on the IAGenWeb Project web page.

(http://iagenweb.org/jefferson/BonnifieldCabin/BonnifieldCabin.html)

Scroll down to see photos taken in Dec 2010, and to see renovation photos from 2004.

Bonnifield Log House.  12-10-10
Bonnifield Log House

Back view  12-10-10
Bonnifield Log House

Front porch  12-10-10
Bonnifield Log House

Front view  12-10-10
Bonnifield Log House

The photos below were adapted from the Prairie Architects website.
These were taken during a renovation to preserve the building (taken June 2004).
Bonnifield Log House

June 2004.
Bonnifield Log House

June 2004.
Bonnifield Log House

June 2004.
Bonnifield Log House

June 2004.
Bonnifield Log House

June 2004.
Bonnifield Log House

June 2004.
Bonnifield Log House

June 2004.
Bonnifield Log House

«Site Map Button   Map Button   Home Button »