Top Header « »

Fairfield's Central Park

Bandstand

 

Central Park

 

Recognized by WHO-TV as the best of Iowa

Fairfield's Central Park was originally round, but in 1902 the streets were paved with brick into a square.   See 1907 photo.

Before streetlights were installed it was dark in town. So in 1882 a 185-foot tower was built in the center of the square to light up the town - spectators came from miles around to see it.

The six electric arc lamps had to be changed daily — kids clamored to help. Fairfield's first electrical plant closely followed Thomas Edison's New York City installation of the first large central electric-power plant.  See it here

But the tower became potentially dangerous and it was dismantled in 1910. By then streetlights helped light the square.

The tradition of lighting up the square continues today with the annual Christmas lighting displays.   More photos of the square.

 

Light Tower

Tower

 

«Site Map Button  Map Button  Home Button »