Top Header « »

 7. McElhinny House

300 N. Court Street (built 1851)NRHP Logo

One of the oldest buildings in Fairfield, it perfectly fits the general picture of a two-story clapboard house-type found throughout much of the country from 1830 through 1850.

Construction began in 1846 by Robert McElhinny, who had moved his family here from Washington, PA, and it was completed in 1851.

The design is late Federal in style, accompanied by a few Greek Revival details.

In 1933 the structure was purchased by the Fairfield Women's Club and subsequently remodeled to restore its original beauty and dignity. It is still used as their meeting house.

Click here for info about the new Carriage House from the Prairie Architects website.

 

Click here for the National Register of Historic Places Registration Form and photos for this building, which you can download.

Scroll down to see more photos.

McElhinny House, southeast side.  10-05-14
McElhinny House

McElhinny House, front (west side).  10-05-14
McElhinny House

McElhinny House, south side.  10-11-14
McElhinny House

On the northwest side - "McElhinny House, In Memory of Dorothy Kistler." 10-04-14
McElhinny House

McElhinny House sign, courthouse in background.  10-05-14
McElhinny House

«Site Map Button   Map Button   Home Button »